Skip to main content

Top tips before taking your vehicle abroad

There will be occasions, holidays or work trips, where you might want to take your vehicle abroad.

While this can be a convenient way to travel, there are a few essential things you need to think about before heading off.

Click below to order your Travel Abroad documents

Don't leave home without:

  • Your driving licence
  • Your motor insurance certificate and insurance contact details
  • The vehicle registration document (form V5); alternatively a VE103 form can replace the requirement for a V5
  • Authorisation from your employer and/or the leasing company if you don't own the car
  • Your passport

The car kit list

There is also a range of equipment which is essential to carry in different countries, for example:

  • Warning triangles – required across most of Europe
  • A vignette – a tax disc used in place of motorway tolls in Austria, the Czech Republic and Switzerland
  • An approved breathalyser self-test kit – required in France
  • A spare pair of spectacles if you need them – required in Switzerland and Spain
  • High visibility vests, first aid kits, spare light bulbs, fire extinguishers, and so on.

The full list, as well as speed limits, alcohol limits and required equipment to carry in the car can be found in our driver guide to taking your vehicle abroad.

Travelling abroad Post-Brexit:  
We recommend that all drivers check the latest guidance from the Government before leaving the UK.

Breakdowns and repairs abroad

Breaking down abroad and recovering a vehicle to the UK can cost hundreds or thousands of pounds. So, before you travel, you should check what your policy covers.

If you need to get repair work done while abroad, keep it to the essentials (ideally through a franchised dealer), keep your receipts and contact us about the work as soon as possible.

Hi, I am Alphie. How can I help you?